Howdy! I hope your week is off to a great start! 😀
So I am sure we’ve all met at least one person, or have known of somebody, who is completely reigned by their emotions. This can be a toxic pattern to live by because it causes us to destroy relationships, make the worst choices, lose jobs and opportunities, and to burn bridges left and right. Being dominated by your feelings, is ironically one of the worst feelings in the world. When your feelings lead you, they basically lead you to ruin mentally, spiritually, & many times physically & professionally.
It may seem like following your feelings is a good and positive thing. But the sad thing is, in the blink of an eye, everything you have worked so hard to build, feelings will lead you tear it all down. I’ve met so many people who struggle with this, & I used to as well. I had major depression for many years, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, & anger issues to top it all off! But if God helped me he can certainly help anyone! I was impulsive too, another trait God has had to work within me. I’ve learned through my mistakes that I MUST include God in my everyday decisions!
Part of our personality comes from our background & experiences. At least for me, for a period of my life, I actually identified with my negative & unhealthy emotions & behaviors. I believed the lies of the devil & I believed that was me, it was my identity. But God showed me this is simply NOT TRUE & THOSE NEGATIVE EMOTIONS were not who I am!!! We are all different, but if we don’t learn to properly deal with our unhealthy feelings in a healthy way, they will control us. And this is not the way God wants us to live. We should be free from spiritual strongholds. That is why Jesus died for us, so we can live in true freedom & know true LIFE! He is our hope & we already have the victory in Him! 🙌😃 What an incredible blessing!!
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. — John 10:10 NIV
So if we cannot follow our own feelings, what on earth are we supposed to do? How are supposed to be making decisions?! 🤔 This was always my question when I first decided to follow Jesus again, because I had always followed my heart. Afterall that’s what people always say you should do right?! We’ve all heard it millions of times! But the Bible says this:
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? Jeremiah 17:9 NIV
So if the heart is deceitful, AND it is BEYOND CURE, then how are we supposed to make life decisions? 🤔
The Holy Spirit is our guide! 🕊❤🤓 We need to let our character be controlled by the Holy Spirit, not go with our impulses, our feelings, & not even our human logic! ❤🕊 We need to ask God for direction & wisdom in our lives through prayer, & reading the Bible so we know what to do. That way we remain in obedience. Of course nobody is perfect. But it’s much easier when you have the discernment about certain things or situations. Self- control is actually a fruit of the spirit! Learning about all the fruit of the Spirit was a great way for me to learn & grow because it really inspired me & still does! ❤🕊🙏 God gives us a NEW HEART! 💖💖🤓🙌
So what actions or steps can we take towards managing our emotions?
- Pray & let yourself be led by the Holy Spirit every day. Ask God for the Holy Spirit so you can be led by it.
- Pray to God for wisdom in both the extraordinary and everyday situations
- Put your focus on God; Pray, read the Bible, listen to sermons in order to increase your knowledge about God & be closer to Him!
- Take your focus off negative things and people. Take some time or distance from negative things if needed.
- Take the steps necessary to heal from wounds from the past. See a therapist or counseling if needed, be patient with yourself! Ask family or friends for support.
- Have faith and believe in the hope and promises God has for His children.
- Listen to Christian music, go to church, listen to sermons online, & read devotionals! Pay attention to the music you listen to, what you read, shows you watch, & conversations you have. Make sure they are feeding your spirit. 🕊❤
- Be obedient- Sin separates us from God; Keep company who also loves God & are also trying to become better through Him.
- Don’t get stuck in old ways or old patterns. It is good and very healthy to give yourself plenty of time to heal after certain situations. But always remember, this will not be your permanent situation. It is just a period. Make sure you are doing what can to get out of difficult situations, and not give up thinking, this is where you are going to be forever.
- Always remember, we are more than conquerors with God. God gives us a NEW HEART. Jesus came to set us free, and if the son set us free, we are free indeed! Pray that emotional/ spiritual strongholds are broken in Jesus name. ❤🙏
This has been my experience, I hope it helps you in some way. ❤ Feel free to email me or leave comments below! Have a blessed week! Xoxo❤