Everywhere we look nowadays, there seems to be someone telling us how to live our lives. What to believe in, and trying to convince us into committing to their cause. Now most of these are wonderful, noble, and extremely worthy causes. However as followers of Christ, we often forget our main cause, our main PURPOSE for being here on this earth. Perhaps at this moment, you feel this way. And I’m not saying I have it all figured out because I still feel like God has yet to reveal more things about my calling personally, but I wanted to share some keys which helped me so much when I felt like I was on that path, searching for “my calling” and “my purpose.”
- You were created to glorify God! Isn’t this such an amazing thought?! That’s what you and I and every human being were created for! To honor Him and glorify His name in all that we do!!
- So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. — 1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV
- everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” — Isaiah 43:7 NIV
- When we are obedient to God’s word, we are glorifying God and walking in our purpose. Worship is not just singing praises to God, but also our daily acts, the way we choose to live, are a form of worship. We must worship God with the way we live, the way we love others, the way we forgive, basically, the way we OBEY God’s word! So singing from the heart, and obeying from the heart as well!
- And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the very commandment you have heard from the beginning, that you must walk in love. — 2 John 1:6
- Sin is disobedience to God’s word. And the more we sin, the more separated we will be from God, & the more far away we will be from our purpose.
- If you don’t know yet your calling, or in which area the Lord will use you, keep praying on it, but don’t stop serving the Lord! And if you aren’t serving, now is a great time to start! Find an area to serve that seems interesting to you. And you might run into your calling while serving! Regardless of what area the Lord decides to use me, I know my purpose is just to serve the Lord, obey Him, love others as He commanded, and spread the good news! Sometimes, we may even have to do tasks we don’t like as much like cleaning, or maybe something boring lol. But you may discover in that process some incredible gifts & talents you never knew you had, learn a life- changing lesson, or that God will use you in areas you never expected or even thought possible!
- Learn as much as you can about God. Read His word daily! Because in order to be obedient to God’s word, we need to actually KNOW what’s in it.
- Ask the Lord through prayer for wisdom, discernment, and guidance.
- Don’t be discouraged. We are meant to be together with other Christians in unity, not alone! Don’t listen to discouraging voices telling you to stop attending serving or attending church. If you don’t have a church to call your home church or if you feel the Lord is leading you elsewhere, pray and wait on it. Times are tough, but there are still good, sound doctrine churches. Ask God lead you to one of them.
- Don’t compare your unique gifts & abilities to those of others. God created each & every one of us with a unique set of talents & abilities. Your calling is not going to be anyone else’s calling. It is uniquely yours because there is just one you. Sure, we can have people of faith to whom we look up to & can be similar in many ways. But also develop your own unique abilities and talents, because the world needs them for your certain God- ordained purpose!
Now you may not know exactly where in your life God is leading you. You may not know which major, job, or path to take. Even the most seemingly determined people, have struggled at some point or another with their identity, purpose, and calling. It is perfectly okay not to know, but the important thing is always to just love the Lord, keep Him first in every area of your life, keep growing and persevering in Him, serving Him, trusting Him, and He will put everything into place!
This one verse has helped me so much in those times where you feel like you’re directionless or don’t know which path to take:
Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. — Psalm 37:4
It’s so comforting to know, we don’t have to have it all figured out all of the time. And it is actually impossible to do that. There are many things in life that are simply beyond our control. We don’t know our future but you if you leave your future in God’s hands, you can trust you will be taken care of, despite life’s hardships and tribulations. Best of all, I’m not talking only about our time here on earth. But God promises that we will have eternal LIFE with Him! Our purpose, as Christians, is to let others know that through Jesus, we have hope for eternal life! And to show them God’s love by helping, being merciful, etc. We can be the instrument God uses to deliver people from their suffering, if we just let Him mold us and use us!
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. — Ephesians 2:10 (ESV)
All we have to do is delight in His presence, get to know the Lord, and He will take care of our every need. Nobody knows our hearts more than God because, He’s the one who made it! He made you and me with all of our unique talents, desires, and abilities. When we put our talents and abilities to use for God’s Kingdom with love and compassion for others, we are walking in that purpose we were created for. So dare to step out and trust the Lord entirely with your life and destiny!